Champagne and Butler-Passed Caviar Buckwheat Blinis Garnished with Crème Fraiche and ChivesFebruary 09, 2015 by Richard Peterson
This recipe is part of a seven-course menu exclusively created for the Air Culinaire Worldwide blog. To view the complete menu and list of recipes, visit “Valentine’s Day In-Flight Dinner Menu.”
Ingredients – Buckwheat Blinis
|All-Purpose Flour||1 cup (125 g)|
|Buckwheat Flour||⅓ cup (40 g)|
|Kosher Salt||¼ teaspoon (1 g)|
|Whole Milk||1 cup (244 g)|
|Sour Cream||¼ cup (60 g)|
|Active Dry Yeast||1 teaspoon (5 g)|
|Fresh Whole Eggs, yolks and whites separated||2 each|
|Vegetable Oil||1 tablespoon (15 mL)|
- In a stainless-steel bowl, combine all-purpose flour, buckwheat flour and salt.
- Sift together until thoroughly mixed.
- In a saucepan, combine whole milk and sour cream, and whisk until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat until liquid reaches 110 F (43 C).
- Remove from heat, add active dry yeast and stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Pour liquid into stainless-steel bowl with dry flour mixture.
- Add egg yolks and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Place mixture in a warm place, allow it to rise for approximate 45 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, combine egg whites and whip until stiff peak.
- Fold in whipped egg whites to batter mixture, careful not to over mix.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat, add a drop of oil and spread evenly across the pan.
- Lightly spoon enough batter onto the hot pan to make a small 2 to 3 inch (5 to 7 cm) round.
- Cook the round until the side up is slightly firm.
- Turn over and cook until evenly browned.
- Remove blinis from pan and place on a clean towel. Yields approximately 30 small 2 to 3 inch (5 to 7cm) rounds.
- Use in specified recipe.
Garnish for Blinis
|Crème Fraiche||1 pint (1/2 liter)|
|Beluga, Ossetra or Other Caviar||4 to 6 ounces (113 g to 170 g)|
|Chive Straws, 2 ½ inches (6.35 cm)||60 each|
|Buckwheat Blinis||30 each|
- On a clean surface, place blinis with nicer side facing up.
- Using a spoon, place a dollop of crème fraiche off-center on top of blini. Careful not to put too much, that the crème fraiche slides off the blini.
- Using a separate spoon, add caviar to center of blini, on top of crème fraiche.
- Place two chive straws vertically on the side of crème fraiche.
On a clean serving tray, place appropriate amount of blinis for number of guests serving. Traditionally, initial service would be two per person.
For questions about in-flight catering, contact email@example.com.