Dark Chocolate Pot au Crème with Sea Salt and Chambord-Macerated StrawberriesFebruary 13, 2015 by Richard Peterson
This recipe is part of a seven-course menu exclusively created for the Air Culinaire Worldwide blog. To view the complete menu and list of recipes, visit “Valentine’s Day In-Flight Dinner Menu.”
Pot au Crème
|Milk Chocolate, chopped||8 ounces (245 g)|
|Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped||4 ounces (120 g)|
|Whole Milk||8 ounces (245 g)|
|Heavy Cream||8 ounces (245 g)|
|Sugar||2 ounces (60 g)|
|Egg Yolks||5 each|
Chambord Macerated Strawberries
|Chambord||2 ounces (60 g)|
|Fresh Mint||1 sprig|
Method: Pot au Crème
- Preheat oven to 325 F (170 C)
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, heavy cream and sugar to a boil. Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk egg yolks.
- Gradually whisk in half of hot cream mixture into egg yolks.
- Whisk egg-and-cream mixture back into saucepan and cook over moderate heat. Stirring with a wooden spoon, until custard coats the back of the spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Pour custard over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any particulate.
- Evenly divide mixture into eight 4-ounce ramekins; filling each one almost to the top.
- Cover each cup with aluminum foil.
- Place cups into an ovenproof pan that is at least the same height as the cups.
- Add hot water to pan, until water reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Place pan into oven and cook for 50 minutes, or until center of each is set firm.
- Remove from oven and lightly cover the top of each with plastic wrap, making sure it is touching the top of the custard.
- Refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until chilled.
Method: Chambord-Macerated Strawberries
- Cut strawberries into medium size dice.
- Add Chambord and sugar into a mixing bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add strawberries to liquid and mix well.
- Reserve for later use.
Remove pot au crèmes from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Evenly sprinkle sea salt across surface of pot au crèmes. Spoon a small dollop of strawberries and juice on top of pot au crème. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.