Free-Range Chicken Tortilla SoupDecember 11, 2014 by Stacey Farooqui
Peak season is here in Aspen, and while the winter brings snow to the mountains, it also makes warm meals even more popular. A healthy and hearty option is to serve a Tex-Mex inspired chicken tortilla soup. This recipe makes four portions and it great for providing warmth with a kick of heat from jalapenos.
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) minced garlic
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced and seeds removed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 free-range chicken breasts, large dice
- 6 cups (1400 g) chicken broth
- ¼ cup (60 g) fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) chipotle puree
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) chili powder
- Salt, as needed
- Pepper, as needed
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 avocado
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried
- ½ (120 g) cup Monterrey cheese, shredded
- 4 lime wedges
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook for two minutes.
- Add jalapenos, tomatoes, chipotle puree and chili powder. Cook for another minute.
- Pour chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add chicken, half of cilantro, half of tortilla strips and lemon wedge.
- Cook until chicken is done. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Place soup in bowls. Garnish with tortilla strips, cheese, cilantro, avocado and lime wedge.
If you have any questions about in-flight catering in Aspen, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.