Lemony Chicken and Orzo Soup RecipeOctober 03, 2014 by Anya Bernal
While fall temperatures are starting to appear in some regions, San Francisco has a mild climate year-round. This makes soup a welcome addition to a healthy meal, no matter the season. In this chicken orzo soup, we have added plenty of greens for flavor and visual appeal. The following recipe makes 1 quart of soup.
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) olive oil
- 1 ½ cups (355 g) leeks cleaned, sliced ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) thick
- ½ cup (120 g) celery sliced ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) thick
- 12 ounces (340 g) chicken breast
- 1 ½ quarts (1.4 L) chicken stock
- ½ cup (120 g) orzo
- 2 sprigs lemon thyme
- ¼ cup (60 mL) lemon zest
- ¼ cup (60 g) chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) crumbled queso fresco
- 1 lemon wedged
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up pan. Add olive oil.
- Sauté leeks and celery.
- Add chicken and lightly sauté.
- Add stock, lemon and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until chicken is cooked 15-20min.
- Remove chicken, shred it and set aside. Meanwhile, add salt and pepper (if needed) to broth and bring to a boil.
- Add lemon zest and orzo. Cook al dente.
- Remove broth from heat. Stir in cilantro and shredded chicken.
- Top with crumbled queso fresco and lemon wedge on the side.
If you have any questions about this article or about in-flight catering, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.