Pinchitos Morunos (Andalucian Chicken)October 08, 2015 by John Detloff
Originating in the Andalucía region of Spain, Pinchitos Morunos are a popular dish served as tapas. These skewers are traditionally prepared with lamb or pork, but are just as tasty using chicken. This recipe works well with the addition of sweet or spicy flavors, so get creative with the addition of some chili powder or honey when mixing together your marinade. Pinchitos Morunos can be cooked indoors in a heavy pan or outdoors on the grill. Enjoy your taste of Spain with a glass of Riojas (red wine) and some crisp greens.
Makes 8 skewers (4 servings)
- 8 pre-soaked wooden or metal skewers
- 1 pound (500 g) chicken breast
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) coriander
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) cumin
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) sherry vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) olive oil
- Optional: pinch of saffron hydrated with 2 tablespoons (10 mL) of water
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl mix together all spices, salt and garlic.
- Add olive oil and vinegar to bowl.
- Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Allow chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to 24.
- Thread chicken onto skewers and grill for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve with a crisp, lightly dressed salad and bread.
If you have any questions about this recipe, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.