Recipe: Roasted Turkey with Sage and ThymeNovember 19, 2015 by John Detloff
With the holiday season upon us, roasted turkey is one of the favorite traditional meals to serve. The following recipe will take you step-by-step through preparing a juicy turkey to feed six to eight people.
- 1 (12-14 pound) whole turkey, thawed
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened and divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh sage leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 apple, halved
- 2 celery sticks, cut 3-inches in length
- 1 large onion, halved and peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Garnishes: fresh sage leaves and fresh thyme sprigs
- Clean the inside of the turkey and remove the giblets with cold water, then dry the turkey.
- Stir ¼ cup of butter with salt and pepper and place under the skin of the turkey breasts.
- Carefully place sage leaves and thyme under the skin.
- Place apples, celery and garlic inside the turkey.
- Use remaining butter and rub the whole turkey.
- Place in roaster pan with rack.
- Bake for 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours at 325 F (163 C) or until thigh reaches 170 F (77 C).
- Baste turkey periodically every 30-40 minutes.
- Remove turkey from roasting pan and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Slice and garnish with fresh sage and thyme.
If you have any questions about this recipe, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.