St. Patrick’s Day In-Flight MenuMarch 15, 2016 by John Detloff
Will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this week? From green beer to Guinness pie, this Irish celebration will keep your guests full and in the festive spirit.
Recipe: Corned Beef and Carrots with Irish Whiskey Glaze
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup sweet orange marmalade
- ½ cup Jameson Irish whiskey
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard plus more for serving
- 1 2- to 2 ¼-pound piece lean fully cooked corned beef
- 12 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Coat baking sheet with vegetable oil and bring next 3 ingredients to a boil in saucepan until it reduces to ¾ cup, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon mustard.
- Brush corned beef with sauce and place in center of prepared sheet.
- Take the carrots and toss with remaining sauce and place around corned beef.
- Season the carrots with salt and pepper.
- Roast until carrots and beef is tender, brushing occasionally with extra sauce, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer to platter, garnish with parsley, and serve with Dijon mustard.
Recipe: Irish Soda Bread with Craisins
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup craisins
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Spray a cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Take flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl and whisk together.
- Add butter and rub in until coarse meal forms with your hands.
- Make well in center of flour mixture and add buttermilk.
- Mix everything together until dough is formed; then add craisins.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into loaf. Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly. Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan 10 minutes. Transfer to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you have any questions about this recipe, contact me at email@example.com.