Boston has been culturally influenced by its large Italian-American community for many decades. The presence of Italian culture is best felt in the North End, where about one-third of the population is Italian. The Boston Crème Cannoli is a sweet treat that celebrates the bond between Italy and Boston by marrying the most popular desserts from each of these locations.
Ingredients — Boston Crème Cannoli
- 8 oz. (225 g) Ricotta Cheese
- 8 oz. (225 g) Vanilla Custard (recipe below)
- 2 Cannoli Shells
- 2 lbs. (900 g) Dark Chocolate
Directions — Boston Crème Cannoli
- Combine ricotta cheese and vanilla custard in a bowl and set aside.
- Shave roughly 4 oz. (125 g) of dark chocolate (this can be done with a grater), place in small bowl and set aside for garnish.
- Place remaining chocolate in a double boiler and melt (this can be done in a microwave safe dish, as well).
- Dip ends of cannoli shells into melted chocolate, place on a parchment-lined tray and refrigerate to allow the chocolate to harden.
- With spoon, drizzle some melted chocolate onto small dessert plate.
- Place cannoli filling into pastry bag, and pipe into chocolate-dipped cannoli shell.
- Arrange two cannolis on dessert plate and garnish with shaved chocolate. Optional: Garnish with assorted berries on the side and a sprig of mint.
Ingredients — Vanilla Custard
- 3 Egg yolks
- 3 cups (700 mL) milk
- ½ cup (120 mL) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. (1 g) salt
- ¾ tsp. (3 g) vanilla
Directions — Vanilla Custard
- Beat yolks in medium bowl; gradually stir milk in until blended.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in large saucepan. Stir in milk mixture until blended.
- Cook over medium-low heat. Stir until mixture thickens and comes to a boil (about 25 minutes). Continue stirring for one minute while at a boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in larger pan of ice water. Stir occasionally for a few more minutes to speed up cooling. Stir in vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto pastry cream to prevent “skin” from forming. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.