Making a cheesecake from scratch is nothing short of a form of art. It also provides an unexpected way to showcase local ingredients. This recipe showcases a local craft beer from Cascade Brewing Barrel House and marionberries (a type of blackberries created at Oregon State University).
- Vegetable Shortening ½ ounce (15 g)
- Oreo Cookies, whole 8 ounces (225 g)
- Whole Butter, room temperature 2 ounces (60 g)
- Cream Cheese 24 ounces (680 g)
- Sugar, demerara 4 ounces (115 g)
- Whole Eggs 3 each
- Semi-sweet Chocolate 4 ounces (115 g)
- Heavy Cream 1 ounce (30 g)
- Sour Cream 8 ounces (225 g)
- Cascade Oblique Black and White Coffee Stout 6 ounces (170 g)
- Vanilla Extract ¼ ounce (7 g)
- Marionberries 8 ounces (225 g)
- Water 2 ounces (60 g)
- Sugar, granulated 1 ounce (30 g)
- Preheat oven to 275 F (135 C).
- Evenly apply vegetable shortening in a 10 inch (25 cm) springform pan, covering inner sides and bottom.
- Place Oreos into food processor and pulse until cookies are crumb consistency.
- Pour crumb mixture into bottom of springform pan.
- Using your hand, press the crumb mixture evenly into bottom of spring- pan.
- Place finished crumb base into oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove crust and refrigerate until needed.
- In a mixer, combine cream cheese and sugar, then mix on medium speed until it is light and fluffy.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape sides of mixing bowl to ensure even mixture.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until they are incorporated.
- Combine heavy cream and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat for about 20 seconds.
- Stir chocolate mixture and continue heating until completely melted.
- Add melted chocolate, sour cream, stout and vanilla extract to cream cheese mix.
- Continue to mix until fully incorporated and mixture is smooth.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape sides of the mixing bowl to ensure even mixture.
- Remove springform pan from refrigerator and pour mixture on top of crust.
- Smooth out mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Place springform pan into a larger, deeper pan and place into the middle rack of the oven.
- Carefully add boiling water to the larger pan, halfway up the side of the springform pan, creating a water bath.
- Cook the cheesecake at 275 F (165 C) for 70 minutes.
- After 70 minutes, open the oven door to make sure sides are setting.
- Leaving cheesecake in the oven, close oven door and turn off oven.
- Allow cheesecake to continue to sit in the warm oven for an additional 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and then from water bath.
- Place cooked cheesecake on a cooling rack and let cool for one hour.
- After one hour, place cheesecake into refrigerator overnight for it to completely set firm.
- In a saucepan, combine marionberries, water and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and place into blender.
- Blend contents with an emersion blender.
- Pass liquid through a sieve and reserve for plating.