Will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this week? From green beer to Guinness pie, this Irish celebration will keep your guests full and in the festive spirit.
Recipe: Corned Beef and Carrots with Irish Whiskey Glaze
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup sweet orange marmalade
- ½ cup Jameson Irish whiskey
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard plus more for serving
- 1 2- to 2 ¼-pound piece lean fully cooked corned beef
- 12 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Coat baking sheet with vegetable oil and bring next 3 ingredients to a boil in saucepan until it reduces to ¾ cup, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon mustard.
- Brush corned beef with sauce and place in center of prepared sheet.
- Take the carrots and toss with remaining sauce and place around corned beef.
- Season the carrots with salt and pepper.
- Roast until carrots and beef is tender, brushing occasionally with extra sauce, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer to platter, garnish with parsley, and serve with Dijon mustard.
Recipe: Irish Soda Bread with Craisins
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup craisins
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Spray a cake pan with nonstick spray.
- Take flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl and whisk together.
- Add butter and rub in until coarse meal forms with your hands.
- Make well in center of flour mixture and add buttermilk.
- Mix everything together until dough is formed; then add craisins.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into loaf. Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly. Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake bread until brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan 10 minutes. Transfer to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.